11 June 2011

"The Bod"

The Bodleian Library, Oxford

A library is a good place to go when you feel unhappy, for there, in a book, you may find encouragement and comfort. A library is a good place to go when you feel bewildered or undecided, for there, in a book, you may have your question answered. Books are good company, in sad times and happy times, for books are people — people who have managed to stay alive by hiding between the covers of a book.
E.B. White“A library is many things” in Letters of Note

Anyone can appreciate this library, affectionately known as "The Bod" to the locals. Even if for only the history, architecture and grandeur feeling of the place. For me, coupled with all that I mentioned, it also held that deep, nerdy, book lover that I am in awe as I stepped into Duke Humphrey's Library, the oldest part of the Bodleian Library dating from 1488. The scent of old books drifted to me as I entered and looked around at the floor to ceiling bookshelves (the first of their kind in Britain, by the way). I couldn't take photos in this area, so I had to memorize the sights. We toured the library on a Sunday, and since the library was closed, we were able to walk through the entire library that tours normally are not allowed to go through because this is a working library. Walking by rows of thick oak shelves of books I tried to imagine myself a student here, with access to this place at any time. Where students have the ability to view books that are hundreds of years old.

Downstairs is the Divinity School. This area has no books, but was the site of lectures. I included photos of this amazing room, with the exquisitely detailed ceiling with ornate carvings and Biblical symbols all over the place. This room also dates back to 1488 when it was completed. We also visited the Convocation Room (the last photo) and the Court Room.

I don't know what it is about being in the presence of 15th century architecture, books, and furniture that intrigues me so much. I think partly because our country is so young and there is nothing like this in America. Also, most of my favorite authors are British and many of them studied, taught, and lived in Oxford, so I knew I was treading on their footsteps and that is just a little bit exciting to me. Call me a nerd, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment