03 August 2012

Morning Edition


I have a great partiality for morning pictures- there is such a freshness about everybody & everything before the toil of the day has worn them.
-Charlotte Brontë

I don't think I even care that it is 97 degrees outside (okay, that's a lie. I really do care, and wish it would be chilly already!) I love some morning coffee, and an afternoon coffee, too. Lately, I have been making afternoon coffee a tradition. I got a new mug at Target the other week, a colorful chevron pattern, and it is really cute. I realize how much I use mugs, so I am always on the lookout for a new addition to my collection, and I like that my mugs are comprised of a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Sometimes you want to use a white mug and sometimes you just need some color.
In case you have been wondering what books I have been reading, here's a little list. Just a few titles to keep me company as I drink the delicious liquid called coffee.

The Princess and the Goblin, George MacDonald
My mom bought this book for herself and me so we could read it together. It's a children's story first published in 1872, so it has the old charm of a good story. It's fun to read along with my mom. "What page are you on?" we ask each other (mom is always ahead of me).

The Blithedale Romance, Nathaniel Hawthorne
If you recall from your high school days, Nathaniel Hawthorne wrote The Scarlet Letter, but this book I had never heard of until I saw it at a used bookstore some time ago. It is about a group of people who leave the city to live on a farm (Blithedale) to experience a sort of "Utopian society". It takes place in New England and has memorable characters who have some secrets that are slowly being revealed. It is an interesting read.

The Summer of the Great-Grandmother, Madeleine L'Engle
Madeline L'Engle has always been one of my favourite writers. She has a series of books that are her journals from different periods of her life. This is one of those books, about a certain summer and many reflections on the past. I think her journal-type writing has greatly influenced me and my writing.

The Portable Blake, William Blake's poems
William Blake lived from 1757-1827 and he is a strange one. His beliefs were definitely a bit different, but he did believe in God and wrote some beautiful, imaginative poetry. Some I like, some I don't. But he is an interesting person to read about and learn about why he wrote what he did. Most of you would probably recognize his "Tyger" poem ("Tyger! Tyger! burning bright, in the forests of the night"), which is a perfect example of euphony (an effect pleasing to the ear).

The Green Dwarf, Charlotte Bront
ë
This is the book I just found and talked about here. I just started reading it, so I am just getting into the story, but I love the style of her writing. The way she describes a setting or a person and their attire is somehow so beautiful. I take mental notes in my head about how to properly describe people, places, and things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment