17 January 2013

Travel Spot: London

I have had the privilege and opportunity to go on some amazing travel adventures over the last several years, and I thought I would share a few things from some of my favourite cities. I will spotlight each city in a post and the challenge is to share my favourites as follows:
1. The Eatery 2. The Touristy 3. The Non-touristy

Please mind the gap, we are off to London!

The Eatery: St. Martin's in the Fields Church, Cafe in the Crypt
I have been to London many times, but I always seems to end up at Trafalgar Square hungry for lunch. Perfectly placed is a Cafe in the Crypt of the St. Martin's in the Fields Church, which is a beautiful church as well. The cafe is literally in the crypt, below the church. They serve up delicious food, cafeteria-style, made with fresh, local ingredients. This chicken vegetable roast was eaten with delight, and this plate was clean soon after this photo was taken.


The Touristy: Westminster Abbey
When my Mom came to London with me, Westminster Abbey was high on her priority list. The royal wedding had occurred here, only a few months before. I wanted to visit the abbey as well, and so did every other tourist. What I loved about this visit is how astonished my Mom was here. This was the first full day of her first overseas adventure, so she could not believe how old the church was, and that the royal wedding was just there, and she was giddy like a little kid! I loved seeing her so delighted as she stared with wide eyes at such history and beauty.

The Non-touristy: Climb the steps to the top of St. Paul's Cathedral Dome
Now, while you could argue that this should be classified as touristy, I will counter that argument with saying that there are not many people who climb all the 528 steps inside the dome and through the narrow passages, and the round iron staircases to the very top. Trust me, it takes some effort to get up there, but boy is it worth it. This was high on my priority list, and my brother Jason climbed it with me on our second trip to London. It was one of my favourite things I did in London. This is a view looking down from the top of the dome, which you can see I am standing right on top of!

For more travel adventures:
Click here for San Francisco

No comments:

Post a Comment