21 March 2013

Travel Spot: Tynemouth, England


I have had the privilege and opportunity to go on some amazing travel adventures over the last several years, and I thought I would share a few things from some of my favourite cities. I will spotlight each city in a post and the challenge is to share my favourites as follows:

1. The Eatery 2. The Touristy 3. The Non-touristy

Here we are at Tynemouth, England!



The Touristy: Tynemouth Castle and Priory Ruins
I think in the summer this would be touristy, but I was here in September, so it was chilly, windy, and deserted. I almost had the whole of the grounds to myself. The castle keep and the ruined priory occupy this cliff overlooking the North Sea. It's quite a historical spot that used to be the largest fortification site in England. The history goes back 2000 years. The weather-worn stone is slowly being taken away in the wind, so these ruins will only dissipate more and more as time goes on. 

 The Eatery: No. 61 Guesthouse and Tea Rooms, Front Street
After being outside exploring the ruins in the cold and wind, nothing sounded better than a big bowl of soup, a pot of tea, and a savory scone. This was such a delicious lunch. I drank the whole pot of tea and felt so much better (nobody knows how to make tea as good as the English).Warmed to the core. One of my favourite lunches.
The Non-Touristy: The town and the beaches
Again, in the summer this would be very touristy, with flocks of people hopping on the metro, as I did, (which dates back to 1882) from Newcastle to Tynemouth to take advantage of the wide sandy beaches. The seaside views and buildings invoke a Jane Austen and Brontë mind-set in me, imagining how in their novels and in their lives, a visit to the seaside was a most grand and fashionable of holidays.

Visit other places with me! Here is San Francisco, London, Oxford, Providence, Newcastle, and Portland

2 comments:

  1. I think you need to have a tourist guide when you go there but this place is really interesting.





    Canadian Visa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gladly had a local who told me a lot of history and what to check out, which was much appreciated! It was very interesting to me :)

      Delete